Johnston canyon icewalk tour
- Go on a Canadian Signature Experience: a travel experience found only in Canada
- Have the chance to see wildlife in its natural habitat
- Enjoy breathtaking views of gigantic ice pillars
Discover Banff National Park and Johnston Canyon, which is one of its most popular attractions. You will be following the trail and steel catwalks that are built into the canyon wall and allow a spectacular view down the canyon walls to the ice and river below. The steel catwalks are above the canyon, and vary in height from ground level up to about 10m (30 ft). Continue onto the awe-inducing upper falls — a glittering tower of ice that rise 30 metres above your head. These gigantic pillars of ice are the tour highlight and ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns. This popular guided icewalk will lead you past the lower falls and on to view the breathtaking upper icefalls from the upper deck. You will also travel through prime wildlife habitat to reach the falls and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed. This tour is recognised as a Canadian Signature Experience – a collection of once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences found only in Canada.
The icewalk is 5.4km (3.4 miles) and has an elevation of 135 metres (443 feet). This icewalk is considered easy/moderate and moderate fitness is recommended for you to enjoy the tour.
Main highlights of the tour:
- Bow Valley Parkway
- Lower Falls
- Upper Falls
- Pick-up and drop off
- Maple cookie snack and hot chocolate
- Ice cleats
- Hiking poles if needed
- Children from 8 to 12 years old
- The minimum age for this tour is 8 years
Mt Royal Hotel: 138 Banff Ave, Banff
Pick up: call +18775659372 to schedule this ahead of time.
No pick-up: please meet at the public bus parking area behind the Mt Royal Hotel.
- Please be prepared for the mountain weather, it changes quickly and the winter tours run in anything from -27C (-17F) to +10C (+50F)
- Please wear thermals/base layers/long johns, warm jacket, sweater, scarf, hat
- Please wear snow pants are recommended for this tour and are mandatory if it is below -16C (3F)
- Please wear sturdy warm shoes, ideally winter boots or hiking boots. They do not have to be waterproof, but they must be warm
- Note that if the guide thinks your attire or footwear isn’t appropriate and compromises your safety on the tour, you may not be able to participate
- Snow pants, ski jackets and warm shoes can be rented from stores in Banff
- The tour will be rescheduled if the temperature is around -30 degrees Celsius or -22 Fahrenheit
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18
- Hotel pick-up from Banff hotels is available, you must call +18775659372 to schedule this ahead of time. Transportation will not go to hotels without prior scheduling and confirmation
- If you choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time at your hotel/pick-up location
- If you don't choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time and wait by the seat in the carpark
- Look for a blue mini bus that says 'Discover Banff Tours’
- Daily from November to April
- Departures at 8.30am and 1.30pm
On this day tour you'll be picked up from your Banff accommodation and taken along winding mountain ...
You'll enjoy a breathtaking ascent to the pinnacle of Sulphur Mountain for an awe-inspiring 360-degr...
This tour will give you an excellent introduction to the dramatic views of helicopter sightseeing. Y...
Paint Pots are a cultural treasure within Banff's National Park. They are mineral deposits once used...
These stunning alpine lakes look too beautiful to be real. On this sightseeing tour you will visit t...
Ride along the tranquil Bow River - an area home to wildlife in amongst the thick marshes and grassy...