Day trip hikes in Banff
- Hike in the Rockies with an expert guide
- See spectacular views
- Get the chance to see wildlife
From the explosion of wildflowers in the spring, to the clear glacier views in the summer, to the brilliant golden of the larch trees in the fall, hiking in the Rockies should not be missed.
Your guides’ priority is having a safe, fun and informative tour that connects you more to where you are visiting. You will be hiking in small groups which is recommended for safety to reduce wildlife encounters.
Regular Season Hikes
Hike to Stanley Glacier – Sunday and Thursday
Journey through a land sculpted by fire and ice in Kootenay National Park. The trail switchbacks moderately for the first half of the hike, through regrowth from the most recent fire, allowing for unparalleled views down over Vermillion Pass back to Castle Mountain. You then follow the trail between sheer towering walls of Mount Stanley and Storm Mountain until you leave the forest behind to emerge in a land of ice and rock and may even find some fossils!
- Rated: Moderate
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Return Distance: 8.4 km (5.25 miles)
- Elevation Gain: 395 m (1,285 ft)
Hike to Larch Valley – Monday and Saturday
Trail restrictions due to bear activity make this an ideal hike to take with a guided group. Beginning from the Valley of the Ten Peaks at Moraine Lake, the trail climbs up 10 switchbacks to Larch Valley on a well maintained trail. After reaching the Valley, the trail easily ambles through a larch forest and then begins to gain elevation again towards Sentinal Pass and the Minestimma Lakes. Towards the Pass, views of the Ten Peaks, Moraine Lake and gigantic Mt. Temple (3,543 m/11,625 ft) will complete your experience. Please note that this hike does not continue to the top of Sentinel Pass.
- Rated: Moderate
- Hiking time: 4-5 hours
- Return Distance: 9.0 km (5.6 miles)
- Elevation gain: 535 m (1,500 ft)
Hike to Consolation Lakes – Tuesday
This trail begins in the Valley of the Ten Peaks at stunning Moraine Lake. The drive alone to this location is worth it in itself. You’ll spend your time hiking leisurely along a old growth forest trail to Consolation Lakes, where you’ll see the Fay Glacier atop Mount Babel. Upon our return, explore around Moraine Lake, including a trip to the top of the Rockpile.
- Rated: Easy
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Return Distance: 5.8 km (3.6 miles)
- Elevation Gain: 255 m (837 ft)
Hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers – Wednesday and Friday
Your hike starts by hiking along the Lake Louise shoreline to the back of the lake before ascending up an ancient glacial valley. As you get higher, the colour of the lake becomes even more stunning and the crowds begin to disappear. The trail turns into single track and the immensity of the the valley and its peaks becomes even more apparent. Near to your final destination is the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House where cakes and tea are served all day long – be sure to bring some cash! Just past the teahouse you will be treated to views of the six glaciers feeding into the valley and Lake Louise.
- Rated: Moderate
- Hiking time: 5 hours
- Return Distance: 10.6 km (6.6 miles)
- Elevation gain: 340 m (1,100 feet)
- Hiking poles
Mt Royal Hotel: 138 Banff Ave, Banff
Pick up: call +18775659372 to schedule this ahead of time.
No pick-up: please meet at the public bus parking area behind the Mt Royal Hotel.
- Hotel pick-up from Banff hotels is available for each tour and some tours offer limited pickups from Lake Louise, you must call +18775659372 at least 24 hours prior to your tour to schedule this ahead of time. Transportation will not go to hotels without prior scheduling and confirmation
- If you choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time at your hotel/pick-up location
- If you don't choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time and wait by the seat in the carpark
- Look for a blue mini bus that says 'Discover Banff Tours’
- Please wear/bring: lightweight hiking pants, a breathable shirt (not cotton), a warm layer (like a fleece jacket), a waterproof jacket, a hat and sunglasses, hiking shoes (sturdy, ideally waterproof or water resistant hiking boots or shoes – trainers or runners are okay, but boots are better), a small backpack, a water bottle, sunscreen, bug spray and your camera!
- You may also like to bring snacks
- Your guide will bring bear spray and a first aid kit
- The lunch options are the following: Chicken wlub Wrap: mayo, chicken, bacon, lettuce and tomato on a tortilla wrap / Roast Beef Sandwich: premium roast beef slices with lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese and horseradish mayo on a kaiser bun / Vegetarian Wrap: tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, lettuce and hummus on a tortilla wrap / Green salad with chicken (gluten-free): romaine lettuce, tomato, green onion, cucumber and diced chicken with french dressing
- Lunches also include fruit, juice, salted potato chips and two bite brownies
- Please call +18775659372 to request your preferred lunch choice at least 24 hours prior to your tour
- The minimum age is 13 years, and all children aged between 13 and 15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult and have a parent or guardian sign their waiver
- Children aged 16 – 17 years old may go on the hike without an adult, but a parent must meet the guide in the morning to sign a waiver
- Early and late season itinerary changes may apply, please enquire at the time of booking
- Due to weather and trail restrictions, we reserve the right to change the location of any of our hikes for the safety of our customers
Sunday and Thursday: departure at 8.00am from Banff
Monday and Saturday: departure at 8.00am from Banff, 8.45am from the Samson Mall in Lake Louise
Tuesday: departure at 8.00am from Banff, 8.45am from the Samson Mall in Lake Louise
Wednesday and Friday: departure at 8.00am from Banff, 8.45am from the Samson Mall in Lake Louise, 9.00am at the Chateau Lake Louise
On this day tour you'll be picked up from your Banff accommodation and taken along winding mountain ...
You'll enjoy a breathtaking ascent to the pinnacle of Sulphur Mountain for an awe-inspiring 360-degr...
This tour will give you an excellent introduction to the dramatic views of helicopter sightseeing. Y...
Paint Pots are a cultural treasure within Banff's National Park. They are mineral deposits once used...
These stunning alpine lakes look too beautiful to be real. On this sightseeing tour you will visit t...
Ride along the tranquil Bow River - an area home to wildlife in amongst the thick marshes and grassy...