Cupola climb and Duomo Square private tour
- Explore Florence's Duomo Square, the city's most iconic landmark
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Cathedral, Baptistery and the Opera del Duomo Museum
- Enjoy a spectacular view of the city
- Climb to the top of the Cupola, the highest point in Florence
Your guide will begin by talking about the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, which commits to the conservation of the Dome and other artworks from the genius of Michelangelo, Donatello, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Luca Della Robbia, Arnolfo di Cambio and many others.
Afterward, as you walk through the piazza you'll catch glimpses of the red dome that was completed in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi and is known as the largest building in Medieval Europe. After an interesting explanation of this showstopper, your next stop will be the showpieces of Florentine Gothic architecture: Giotto's Bell Tower and the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore.
The guide will also take you around the exterior of the Loggia del Bigallo, a late Gothic building in Florence with an interesting historical façade. Finally, you’ll enter through the “Gates of Paradise” to the Baptistery of St. John
which stands across from the Duomo Cathedral. You will also be guided on the technical and artistic aspects of the architecture.
Your guide will talk about how the Cupola was designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi, who won the competition for its commission in 1418. The way up (and down) are basically tight corridors for the workmen who built the cathedral and for maintenance, they were never thought of as being open to the public. On the interior of the dome, you can admire the Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment (1572-9) up close with an interesting explanation of the frescoes from your guide along the way up to the top.
Look down and on the base, just above the drum, you'll see that Baccio d'Agnolo began adding a balcony in 1507 and that one of the eight sides remained unfinished. There's a story behind this balcony, your guide will reveal it along the way: why the work was immediately halted, and why the other seven sides remain rough brick still today.
Once you climb to the top of the Cupola, you will be enchanted by the panoramic view of Florence in front of your eyes. The guide will talk about the history and art of the Duomo Square and answer any of your questions about it.
- Tickets to visit the listed attractions: the Bell-Tower, the crypt inside the Cathedral and the Baptistery, Museo dell'Opera del Duomo at your own peace
- Guided tour inside the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo and Baptistery of Saint John
- Ticket and reservation for the Cupola
- Small-group walking tour around the Duomo Square
- Official certified guide
- Radios and headsets to hear the guides clearly
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Entrance to the Cathedral
- Infant (0-5): free of charge
- Child (6-11): reduced
Piazza del Duomo, 5, 50122 Firenze FI
Porta della Mandorla in front of Arnold Coffee.
- Not wheelchair accessible (no elevators to climb Cupola)
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, physically not fit to climb steps, pregnant women and suffering from vertigo, claustrophobia or heart problems
- Pets are not allowed
- The guided tour to climb the Cupola will take around 1 hour
- You do not need a ticket to visit the Cathedral; you can enter it at any time before or after this tour
- After the first validation, the ticket is valid for 72 hours: you can use it to visit the monuments listed at your own peace (the Bell Tower and the crypt inside the Cathedral)
- Respect the dress code: no shorts or sleeveless tops, knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women and hats should not be worn inside. You risk being refused at the entry
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour starts you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- Every day at 10.00am, 11.00am, 12.00pm, 01.00pm, 02.00pm, 03.00pm and 04.00pm
Escape the hustle and bustle of Florence and experience the heart of Tuscany by visiting the enchant...
This full-day tour includes the home of St Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals and ecolog...
Join this cooking class in the heart of the beautiful Florence with the help of an experienced Chef!...
Learn how to make pasta like an Italian in the heart of Florence!During this unique experience, you ...
Explore Florence and its magnificent hills with an electric bike that allows you to enjoy the best o...
Explore the Tuscan countryside on this private day trip from Florence. With a wine expert as your pe...