Daily shared tour of the Paleolithic art of Dordogne
- A full day exploring the fascinating history of the Dordogne Cave paintings
- Explore the magical prehistoric sites
- Visit the state-of-the-art Lascaux IV complex
Some 15,000 years B.C. unknown artists created breathtaking cave paintings of which the most extraordinary examples are found in the Dordogne area.
During this day tour, you will be introduced to this fascinating art and to the people who made it. Begin the day in Les Eyzies de Tayac with a guided visit of the National Prehistory Museum. Opened in 2004, this national museum possesses the largest collection of prehistoric artifacts in the world.
Continue to Montignac where you will visit Lascaux IV cave, a perfect reproduction of the original cave. Opened in 2016, Lascaux IV is a triumph of technology. Unlike any other cave visits, Lascaux IV employs different set designs, displays, state-of-the-art interactive workshops and immersive technology to bring it to life. In fact, the atmosphere inside the replica cave is just like that of a real cave: dark, damp and muffled.
The tour will end with the visit of Rouffignac Cave that possesses original and authentic etchings and drawings. The Rouffignac cave was already mentioned in 1575 by François de Belleforest. In his Cosmographie universelle, he cites “paintings and animal traces”. In the 19th century, the cave was known as a tourist attraction. Famous archaeologists like Henry Breuil, André Glory, and Martel had visited the cave in the early 20th century, but it was only in 1956 when Louis-René Nougier and Romain Robert, two prehistorians from the Pyrenees, rediscovered and confirmed the cave art.
- Entrance to Lascaux IV
- Entrance to Rouffignac cave
- English visit at the Prehistory Museum
- English speaking driver guide
- Travel in recent, comfortable & fully equipped minivans
- Free Wifi access on board
- Personal insurance & expenses
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees to monuments or attractions other than those mentioned
- Hotel pickup
- Children from 4 to 12 years are reduced
Place Pasteur - 24200 Sarlat
- You will meet your guide in front of Bus Stop, Place Pasteur in Sarlat
- Please be sure to be at the meeting point 10 minutes before the departure
- Maximum 8 persons per tour.
- Tour requires minimum of 2 passengers (adults) to operate. In case minimum numbers are not reached we will offer to reschedule or refund your tour
- Comments are made in French during the travel in Electric train in Rouffignac, but your guide will introduce the cave beforehand and will make commentaries at the bottom of the cave in English.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Warm jackets are highly recommended – 14°C (57F) inside the caves
- Not suitable for infants under the age of 4.
- Departure at 9.00am (at 8.30am in July)
- Return at 6.00pm
- Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday
- From April 1st to October 31st, 2019
Spend your day enjoying two of the most important Parisian sights, Sainte Chapelle and the Louvre Mu...
Walk the footsteps of 2,000-year old history as you explore the heart of Paris, Ile de la Cité. Sitt...
Spend a day exploring Paris in a very unusual way. This excursion on foot and river boat will show y...
Welcome to Sarlat, one of the most fascinating small towns of France and a mecca of french gastronom...
Drive to the beautiful village of Domme. With its trapezoid city plan, Domme is a bastide, or a fort...
Discover brand-new Lascaux IV International Center of Parietal Art. The museum is a triumph of techn...