Karakachani festival in Sliven
- Learn about the different cultures with your private guide
- See dance groups and hear tradtional songs
- Enjoy a day away from the city
Learn about the different cultures which make up Bulgaria at the fair Karakachans, held every year in Sliven "Karandila" in the mountains - for only two days in August. This traditional event is organized by the Federation of Cultural and Educational Societies Karakachan.
At the festival see traditional huts built on ethnicity and groups from Bulgaria and Greece showing Karakachan traditional songs, dances and customs. Around 25,000 Karakachans live in Bulgaria, between 6 and 7 thousand of them - in the region of Sliven. 20 are cultural and educational societies in the country.
Karakachans (gr. Σαρακατσάνος- sarakatsanos) were Greek- speaking nomadic shepherds who live mainly in the mountains Pindos, Greece and Eastern Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Karakachans have mostly Greek national consciousness. Part of living in Bulgaria consider themselves Bulgarians.
Karakachans speak an archaic dialect of Greek and Eastern Orthodox Christians.
- Professional guide
- Transport with the chair lift
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Bottled water
- Food and drinks
- Overnight stays
- Youths aged (7-17): reduced
Meet your guide in the lobby of your hotel. Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking.
- Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The guide wlll accompany the guests for 2 days of the festival
- Festival is the last Saturday and Sunday of August
- Depart to the fair gounds at 9.00am
Experience the sophistication and high quality of the Bulgarian wines produced at Edoardo Miroglio w...
Enjoy the Halkata hike also known as "The Ring," with a professional guide and hotel pick-up from Sl...
Explore the Tuida Fortress, comprised of a late Roman, early Byzantine and Medieval Bulgarian fortre...
An experienced Pokemon hunter will walk you around the city unlocking the wide varieties for hunting...
The city of Kabile was founded around 2000 BC, and was one of the most important cities of Ancient T...
Experience a day in the life of a Thracian on a walking tour of Zheravna from Sliven. Walk through t...