A day-long trek to Rila Mountains’ highest summit - Musala
- Trek up the picturesque slopes of the Rila Mountains
- Climb up to the highest mountain peak in the Balkans
- Enjoy a panoramic view from the highest point between the Alps and Caucasus
This day-long trek takes you up to the highest mountain peak on the Balkan Peninsula – Mount Musala (2925 m). The gondola lift takes you up to the starting point of the trekking trail – Yastrebets Hut. You traverse the left slope of the deep glacial valley and continue on even ground to the cirque near the Musala Lakes and Musala Hut. 2.5-3 km down the trail you’ll reach Musala hut by the banks of Lower Musala Lake. Along its banks and those of two other lakes, you’ll start a moderate-to-steep ascent up the cirque towards one of the other lakes. The path winds up the slope over Aleko Lake, and up ahead there’s another lake. Soon you'll reach the high “Ledeno Lake” (Icy Lake) mountain shelter, situated by the banks of the eponymous lake, which, at 2709 m above sea level, is the highest situated glacial lake in Bulgaria. A 30-40-minute trek up a moderately steep slope takes to Mount Musala. There is a weather station on the peak and the view around is spectacular. There is no place higher than Mount Musala between the Alps and Caucasus. The breathtaking panoramic view of the mountains of Bulgaria from the peak of Rila Mountain is more than worth the adventure.
You’ll be heading back through the same route. After taking the lift down you’ll be transferred to Sofia.
- A professional mountain guide
- A map of Rila Mountain
- Transfers from Sofia to the starting point of the trail and back (available on request for 30 € per person for a group, 80 € for a single passenger, including pick-ups from the hotel)
pl. "Sveti Aleksandar Nevski" 4, 1000 Sofia Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
At the time of booking, please select a pick-up point between Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and Sofia Airport.
- Trekkers need standard mountain trekking equipment, comfortable shoes and warm, water-proof clothing.
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 9.00am
Take a Pokemon-walking tour of Sofia as your expert Pokemon guide shows you all the Pokemon Shops an...
Sofia’s nice sized city center can easily be visited on foot, but it is a lot more interesting and f...
Save time and book your entrance tickets in advance to the National Museum of Military History. Upon...
Take a full-day trek to the Rila Mountains to leasurely walk among the nature of it's Seven Rila Lak...
Mousala is the highest peak (at 2925 m) not only in Rila Mountains, but on the whole Balkan Peninsul...
The first festival took place more than 100 years ago, in 1903. Today the Rose Festival is an intern...